GUIDELINES & APPLICATION
The Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange aims to encourage and promote poetic creation in conditions of excellence, as well as its international projection, providing the poets of Ireland and Galicia with space, time, context and optimal conditions for the dedication to their creative writing project within an international environment.
The exchange will be accompanied by at least two public readings by the beneficiary, in Galicia and Ireland respectively, during the period of residence, as well as the publication of a chapbook of their poems translated into the language of the destination country.
While the exchange holder in Ireland enjoys contact with other international artists in the Tyrone Guthrie Centre, those residing in A Coruña will have priority access to museums, galleries, libraries, concerts, guided tours, literary meetings, plays and other events in a city with a rich and diverse cultural life.
Any poet over the age of eighteen born/ resident in Ireland with at least one published collection of poetry may apply.
Applications may be made in doc, .docx, .odt or .pdf and must include the following:
• (1) Literary CV (Max. 2 pages).
• (2) PROJECT: Description of the literary project that is intended to be developed during the residency (Max. 2 pages). Mention can be made of the main theme(s), structure, shape, stylistic features and/ or any other details that allow the evaluation committee to get an idea as to the creative project to be undertaken.
• (3) SAMPLE OF WORK: a selection of poems (max 10 pages).
• (4) LETTER OF MOTIVATION: Please state why you are applying for the
Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange (Max. 1 page).
All documents to be sent as an attachment to email@example.com on or before 22:00 GMT on May 17, 2023. With the subject heading: “Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange.” In the event that the application is not received in full, the application will be rejected, and the applicant be excluded from the call.
Enquiries with re: to any of the above can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
SELECTION AND EVALUATION CRITERIA
Applications will be submitted to evaluation committees appointed by the 1863 Literary Residence and the Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange.
The evaluation committees will choose the project they consider worthy of the exchange, evaluating:
• artistic quality and viability of the literary project.
• excellence of literary trajectory.
• suitability of the letter of motivation.
RESOLUTION AND PUBLICATION OF THE RESULT OF THE CALL
The awardee will be notified during the second half of June 2023 at the email address provided.
Applications submitted that do not comply with the rules governing this call will be rejected. No correspondence will be maintained with applicants who are excluded from the final selection.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE BENEFICIARIES
• Communicate in writing, within ten calendar days from the announcement of the awarding of the Poetry Exchange, the acceptance of the same and the bases that regulate the exchange.
• Accept and comply with the agreement that governs the correct use of the facilities of the Residence in Galicia, in a respectful, appropriate and responsible manner, and strictly for the agreed period. Spouses, relatives, companions and pets will not be admitted to the residences, which are intended for the concentrated individual development of the creative work of the writer.
• To participate in 2 public readings of their work at 1) The University of Santiago de Compostela and 2) The Poemaria International Poetry Festival, Vigo.
• To submit, within 10 working days, a selection of poems (15 pages max.), for translation and publication.
• Present a short final report (max. 1 page) that assesses the experience and the possible impetus to the literary work itself. To be submitted within fifteen days after the end of the period of residence.
• If, in the future, literary work developed during the residency exchange is to be published, it should be noted that the creation of this work was promoted at the Tyrone Residencia Literaria 1863 and acknowledge the support of The Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange.
Return flights in economy class from Dublin to Galicia –intended for the use of the residency– will have a single entry and exit and will not be in any name other than that of the beneficiary. Airport transfers are included in the exchange.
Responsibility for health insurance is of the beneficiary. The Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange takes no responsibility for covering repatriation, hospitalization expenses and/ or medical expenses.
Maintenance during the month of the stay will be covered through a stipend of €750 payable at the beginning of the month.
The Residencia Literaria 1863 is a fully self-catering, one-bedroom apartment located in the old town of A Coruña, Galicia. A cleaner will attend to the residence every 10 days, and a local emergency/ informational contact will be maintained at all times.
The Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill Poetry Exchange gratefully acknowledges the financial and collaborative support of The Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Annaghmakerrig, Residencia Literaria 1863, Literature Ireland, Poetry Ireland, the Embassy of Ireland Madrid, Aspects Literary Festival, Poemaria International Poetry Festival and the Departmento de Filoloxía Inglesa e Alemá, University of Santiago Compostela.
Posted to on 11 Apr 2023.