Literature Ireland brings the finest of Irish literature in the best possible literary translations to readers around the world. It does this by awarding translation grants to publishers, by hosting literary translators in Ireland, and by representing Irish writers at international events, book fairs and festivals.
A not-for-profit organisation, Literature Ireland (known as Ireland Literature Exchange until 2016) is funded by Culture Ireland and the Arts Council. Operating since 1995, Literature Ireland has funded the translation of over 2,000 works of Irish literature into 56 languages around the world.
Our services include:
- Running a translation grant programme for publishers to fund the translation of literature from Ireland into foreign languages, and the translation of foreign literature into English or Irish.
- Operating a residential bursary programme for literary translators.
- Attending international book fairs and festivals and managing the Irish national stands at the London and Frankfurt book fairs.
- Support for international author and translator events.
- Providing information to publishers, agents, translators, writers and other interested parties.
- Publishing and distributing New Writing from Ireland and other publications.
- Participating in international literary translation projects.