Literature Ireland brings the finest of Irish literature in the best possible literary translations to readers around the world. It does this by awarding translation grants to publishers, by hosting literary translators in Ireland, and by representing Irish writers at international events, book fairs and festivals.
A not-for-profit organisation, Literature Ireland (known as Ireland Literature Exchange until 2016) is funded by Culture Ireland and the Arts Council. Established in 1994, Literature Ireland has funded the translation of over 1,750 works of Irish literature into 55 languages around the world.
- Organises a Translation Grant Programme. This programme offers translation grants to publishers and funds the translation of literature from Ireland into foreign languages, and the translation of foreign literature into English or Irish.
- Runs a Residential Bursary Programme for literary translators.
- Organises international Author and Translator events.
- Provides information to publishers, agents, translators, writers and other interested parties.
- Publishes and distributes New Writing from Ireland and other publications.
- Attends international book fairs and festivals.
- Participates in international literary translation projects.